Wednesday, August 5, 2009


It has been a challenging week to say the least. I am back to being given the run-around with my bladder infection. I have had the same bladder infection for over the past two months. I had another culture done last Thursday and wasn't called until Tuesday with the results. I had a lot of blood, white blood cells, and protein. The Rheumatologist wanted to put me on a different antibiotics since the last one didn't work (I knew it wouldn't) I told her it wouldn't work. After countless calls to my Internal Specialist and the Rheumatologist, the Rheumatologist decided to give me an antibiotic that I should not have because it is a Sulfa type drug. I have had an allergic reaction previously, I told her this and had to prove it by calling my Internist to verify what the reaction had been. To my dismay the Rheumatolgist office nurse called and told me that the doctor had in fact prescribed a Sulfa-based drug. I almost broke down and started it, but my better senses told me to wait until this morning and verify with my internist that it was the right/wrong thing to do. My internist's office was very diligent in returning my phone calls and forwarding my messages to the doctor. This morning my Internist office called and has prescribed me a totally different round of antibiotics and made a point to say that they hope they caught me before I had taken one of the other pills that were prescribed by my Rheumatologist. I was disappointed to say the least in the care that I am receiving from my specialist, but don't know what to do. I am thankful that I have a great Internist that is very much up to date on all my medication reactions and sensitivities that the Lupus causes. I am hopeful that the stronger antibiotic will clear this lingering infection, because I am at the end of my rope with the continuing discomfort and symptoms of this chronic infection. So, today I am thankful for having the sense to stand by my internal instincts and reject the medication that could have potentially caused me more harm than good. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the next ten days will move smoothly and I can kick this infection. We have again decided to postpone Prednisone and Imuran until October and hopefully this infection will be under control by then. It is truly wearing me down.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

I have never met someone with such perpective gut instincts. Never stop believing in yourself. You know what's going on.