Thursday, July 16, 2009

Who Can FIX Us?

I finished my antibiotic regimen but am unsure if the infection is gone. My gut tells me that it isn't; as well as the lingering symptoms. My next "actual" appointment with the Rheumatologist isn't until the July 30th. I am frustrated at their office because they are so overwhelmed with patients that they aren't able to give me the attention to follow-up with me on all of my test results. I figured out the other day that I had shown signs of my most recent infection at my May appointment (blood in urine) and again on my June 25th appointment (blood & protein in urine) and yet they didn't prescribe me any antibiotics until an additional urine culture test on July 2nd to only not tell me the results until July 7th. If I think about it too much it just makes me angry and I have to control my frustration and stress. So, I am thinking today as to why there aren't many Rheumatologists and the reason must be that the auto-immune diseases are so difficult to treat and treating patients must be frustrating. Frustrating for the doctors because they can't really help, other than when you are hospitalized and only then hope that we will respond to the usual steroid and antibiotic treatments. It hit me the other night when my husband and I had a difficult conversation with the outcome being that he was upset because he can't FIX me. I believe that everyone involved including the doc's, caregivers, and patients must actually feel somewhat the same...helpless to do much of anything to FIX us.

1 comment:

Careccia said...

I can fix you, i think i can I think i can...